Author Topic: Bushing Size for Redding Type S Sizing Die?  (Read 356 times)

Offline ronaldwalter

• View Profile
Bushing Size for Redding Type S Sizing Die?
« on: October 30, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
What bushing size are you using for the 224 Valkyrie on the Redding Type S sizing die?
I don't have any loaded ammo yet as I am still ordering brass and other reloading components for this new caliber. I need to order a bushing and I want to make sure I order the correct size so I don't waste any money on the wrong size.
Would the neck size of a loaded 224 Valkyrie be the same as a 223 Rem since they are using the same bullet?
Thanks

Offline Flygrimm

• View Profile
Re: Bushing Size for Redding Type S Sizing Die?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:26:12 PM »
Bushing size is determined by several factors.  If you’re looking for say .002” neck tension you need to take into account the bullet diameter, neck wall thickness, weather or not you neck turn, brass spring back after sizing and if you anneal.   If you change brass lots or manufacturers down the road you may have to get another bushing.

You might need to get 2 or 3 different size bushings and experiment to get the neck tension you want. 

Glen Zediker goes into pretty good detail in his book ‘Top Grade Ammo’.  His writing style is a little weird but there’s lots of good info in there. 

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Grade-guide-creating-quality-ammunition/dp/1684192234

Stuart

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:15:29 AM »
Depends on the Brass the Val has a long bullet hold .002 is what I use  Hope it helps DD Flygrimm is spot on

Offline ronaldwalter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »
Are you guys using .246 bushing size on your Valkyrie? I have Federal brass.
Thanks