Author Topic: 62 grain pulled Fusion bullets  (Read 151 times)

Offline justDee

• View Profile
62 grain pulled Fusion bullets
« on: December 28, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
I've been absent from the website for a few months.  I have been pretty discouraged with my 224, at least with the reloading portion.  It shoots factory loads just fine, but I want to shoot reloads and have had really poor results.  I was using SMK bullets in 77 and 90 grains, a half dozen powders, varied the seating depth, with crimp, without crimp, nothing mattered.  Looked like I was shooting an improved cylinder choke on a shotgun.  I decided to put her up, in the back of the safe, until I could afford a new barrel.  Mine is a 7 and I keep hearing the 6.5's are better.
For some reason, can't blame it on alcohol or drugs, I decided to try some of these 62 grain Fusion bullets I have.  A couple of years ago, when supplies were plentiful, I bought a couple thousand of these 'pulled bullets' from American Reloading.  I didn't buy them for tack driving accuracy, but rather for plinking bullets for my 223 rifles.  Thought I'd also use them on the occasional hog or coyote and that was about it.
So fast forward, I get the 224 out, dust her off, and decide to load up some of the 62 grain bullets, just for the heck of it.  Won't bore you with the details, but it didn't take long to realize that she kinda liked these bullets being pushed by Varget powder.
I kept messing around with different load workups and settled on 26.4 grains of Varget, CCI Magnum Small Rifle Primers, and once fired FED cases. 
When I started to consistently get groups like this at 100 yards, which is the typical shot that we take on deer at our ranch, I decided to load some up and take her to the blind.  Currently, she's two for two on south Texas does and I'll be using her again this week.  Hoping a hog comes out and presents a shot.  The doe pictures are in the hunting section. 
Here is my shot group at 100, I'm afraid to think what it would look like at 400, which is the longest range that I have access to, but I will give her a try in the near future.

Offline Flygrimm

• View Profile
Re: 62 grain pulled Fusion bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »
JustDee

How big is the orange dot?

Stuart

Offline justDee

• View Profile
Re: 62 grain pulled Fusion bullets
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »
That's a three inch circle.  I buy a roll of them off of Amazon for about $8.