Author Topic: Valkyrie Case Trimmer  (Read 1800 times)

Offline 64goatman

• View Profile
Valkyrie Case Trimmer
« on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »
What is everyone using currently for trimming cases?  Can't find anyone making a dedicated trimmer for this cartridge yet...

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie Case Trimmer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »
I do not use caliber specific trimmers.  I have always just used my 10 year old RCBS trim pro with lock ring.  Set the lock ring once you get the desired OAL and trim away!

Offline kindabitey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
Little Crow Gunworks makes one. You can find them on Amazon. Uses a drill, or in my case, a lathe at a slow rpm.
Maliois- French for "You don't want one"
Because it's fun, and I can, that's why

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »
Wait, you gotta trim these things?

I actually use a Lee trimmer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:18:21 PM by highside »
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
Does Little Crow GW make one for the Valkyrie? I couldn't find one anywhere. Emailed them but did not get a response. I use them for all my trimming. Used to dread trimming cases but not anymore.  I prefer to have the original Worlds Finest Trimmer that is caliber specific rather than the WFT-2 that has the insert for each caliber. I waste a few pieces of brass each time I set the depth on the WFT-2. My 338 Lapua cases are $289 + tax and shipping per 100!

Offline kindabitey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »
Yes they do. I got mine from Amazon. 74.95, if you order today, you'll get it by the weekend.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:39:40 PM by kindabitey »
Maliois- French for "You don't want one"
Because it's fun, and I can, that's why

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
Thank you, sir! Ordering now

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
How often are you guys trimming your Brass?  I am used to loading 6.5x47 lapua so I almost never had to trim.

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
I havenít had to trim any yet. Itís been close but not needed and some of the brass is on itís fourth reload.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline darylu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:58:40 PM »
Late post in case anyone else is looking for info.

This is hard to beat.  After sizing, I can length size hundreds in an hour with little effort.  Very accurate.  Comes with many bushings including the one needed for 224 V.  I've tried many others - but this is the best by far.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Brass-Smith-Xpress-Trimmer/dp/B07MY1V9YX

Lyman Xpress Trimmer

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Brass-Smith-Xpress-Trimmer/dp/B07MY1V9YX

Offline Sepent408

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 10:45:02 AM »
I'll add my 2 Cents here:
 Lyman Universal Case trimmer (30+ years old) using .22cal pilot (included with original set). Micro out one brass, label your ideal trim length and you have a template forever.   
 I anneal prior to resizing. Very little case stretching on this caliber, so not much trimming of case mouth performed.
Serpent408

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
My last post on this subject was 7/13/18 when I ordered a trimmer from Little Crow GW. Thought I would review it for you. Using a cordless drill it takes about  2 seconds per case and once you get the feel for it ( apply just the right amount of pressure) you donít have to chamfer or de-bur. They make caliber specific and universal versions. I have both and would not recommend the universal if you would be changing calibers regularly.Even using a master case trimmed to length itís impossible to set it perfectly without some trial and error trimming each time you change calibers. Absolutely love the caliber specific version. I have four or five and once theyíre set up you never have to adjust them again. I used to hate trimming cases! Happens so fast now I donít even mind

Offline smurfslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
I use a Dillon power trimmer with whatever rifle brass I can.  Unfortunately, short cases like 300blk, 7.62x39, 6.8/224 are too short for the stock Dillon die.  However, www.ch4d.com will make custom dies for it.

I just got a .224 die prior to moving to a new house, so I havenít set it up yet.  I have used the .300 and x39 dies and they work exactly as expected.  It takes some setup, but itís positive and consistent.  The throughput once you have the Dillon set up is great. 

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
I have not Trimed very many 224 Val cases  but the few I have done I do on my trusty old RCBS trimmer I bought back in the 70's It sports a Cordless Drill and RCBS 3 way cutter   But I am a low tech Old Red Neck in a High Teck world  LOL DD