Author Topic: Federal brass primer pockets  (Read 852 times)

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
Re: Federal brass primer pockets
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 05:20:37 AM »
PA Sorry for the slow response. I'm not sure about the swipe marks on case heads but judging by the condition of the primers it doesn't look to me like you have pressure issues. I ran some 95 gr SMKs up to 2875 before getting flattened primers! I know that's off the charts but it's real.
On another note I'm on the 5th round of reloading factory Federal cases and 5 out of 60 the primers don't touch the sides of the pockets anymore! The others (all of the others) are so loose that this is the last round for them.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »
PA V, you might try removing the extractor and using very fine emery paper, just lightly break and sharp edges you can feel.  You likely will not be able to do this without removing the extractor.  Let us know how you progress.

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
So, made a trip to the range today. Using Federal brass actually had a primer fall out. First time this has ever happen to me. These are on their 4th reload. Also during the same test run had several FTFs. Seemed like the primers weren't even being struck. Almost like a light strike but no mark. I think they are seating to deep now. Ran Starline reloads and zero issues, back to Federals, more FTFs. The one that lost the primer fell out when I tapped the back of the magazine, maybe. The primer was in the mag. Kinda of sucks for Federal brass if it's only good for 3 to 4 reloads. I have some Starline .458 Socom brass on their 10th reload with no issues. Ordering more Starline brass.

On a side note, I was running really tight groups with 77SMKs again. With that crappy falls flat after a few football fields CFE223.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:54:24 PM by highside »
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
Just ordered 500 more Starline from Brownells. Any need some Federal brass? Lightly used.  :o

Offline milprileb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »
I had zero luck with CFE 223 powder in 556 other than 600 yd use.  Its worthless in my book pushing 80 gr bullets at 800 /1000.

Lucky me, I bought a zillion Federal 308 once fired cases thinking in 1970-80 mentality that Fed brass was top notch...not knowing it went to crap and is almost universally despised by 308 Win long range shooters / hand loaders.   I am lucky to get 3x reloads before primer pockets become loose and worthless.  I have noted this trend in both 308 and 223/556 brass too. 

When / If I ramp up to 224 Valkyrie , I'll go to Starline Brass and skip the "discovery learning" with Fed brass.

While I wait for 224 Valkyrie to validate as a 1000 yd caliber, I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor and will avoid Fed and Hornady brass.   My luck with Hornady brass is rotten, its not up to snuff for long range loads which have to be steamy to make 1000 yds.  However, I have been given 300 once fired Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor cases so I'll be sniveling about loose primers once again...at least when I chuck the cases , it won't feel like I got scammed and lost money. 

I am aware aggressive loads do contribute to loosening of primer pockets but my focus is 1000 yds and  less aggressive loads are a waste of time/money. 

When Fed brass shows loosening of primer pockets I have found no love to be gained from moving from CCI primers to Win primers or Tula primers.  Your mileage may vary on primer fit and I think the Go/No Go primer pocket gauge is an idea that I'll take a shot at.  I hate it after all the attention necessary to prepare a rifle case .... to get to priming stage in reloading  and find  a case (S)  has /have a loose primer pocket and gets tossed out.

Parting Shot:  My experience is Fed brass has limited reloading life in bolt rifles and even less in gas operated rifles.  The weakness is primer pockets enlarge.   I would suspect this trend will continue if I accrue any Federal 224 Valkyrie brass but I'll avoid this brand unless someone gives me brass free.

Sound like the dots are connecting again...3 to 4 reloads of Fed brass due to primer pockets getting loose.  I hope Starline brass is the way to go for reloading. 

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »
Yes, The first 200 rounds of Starline brass are now on reload 5 and pockets are within spec. Much better than Federal. I did send an email to Federal asking about this primer pocket issue I'm having, I will post up whatever they respond with.

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 06:16:24 AM »
On my fifth reload with Federal brass almost every mag has at least one round that jambs due to a primer coming out when the bolt makes initial contact. My Starline brass is supposed to be here Monday but I guess I won't be shooting the Val this weekend. Lame. Just finished extending the range to 1000 and have only shot a few groups. Several were hindered by the primer issue.the ones that weren't were avg a little over .5 moa though so I am eager to keep going.
Hope the Starline is good brass all the way around not just tight primer pockets. Anyone check neck runout ( concentricity)?

Offline JDB1980

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »
I've tried both Federal and Starline. Starline primer pockets are much better than Federal but neck wall thickness varies more than the Federal brass. I gave the Starline a light neck turning to 0.014....basically a clean-up. After the light neck turning the wall thickness varied less than 0.0005 on individual cases and was consistent from case to case. No problems with concentricity on once fired cases.

Offline copperhead89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
I use Remington 7 1/2 br primers and they fit better than CCI 400. Don't know for how long though??

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
I use CCI450 and #41s. My issue with Federal the same issue doesn’t happen on my Starline brass. Emailed Federal twice now with zero response.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:18:57 PM by highside »

Offline Shockwave

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
I use the ballistics tool go no go gauge as mentioned earlier.  Yeah it's an added step in reloading, but well worth it.  My 300 blackout supers are loaded hot for deer hunting and my primer pockets always wear out quickly.  The gauge does come in handy!