Author Topic: brass hitting upper  (Read 1714 times)

Offline justDee

• View Profile
brass hitting upper
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
After the first trip to the range with my new Valkyrie, I noticed bare metal at the rear of the ejection port.  Assuming I hit something in transport or at the range, I just touched it up with a gunsmiths black marker from Birchwood/Casey.  Returned from the second trip, bare metal again.

Should I just file that small section and reapply the marker, leave it alone until it files itself, or is it a sign of a bigger issue?

Offline highside

• View Profile
Re: brass hitting upper
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
It's just looks cosmetic. Is it causing any issues?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:22:34 PM by highside »
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline kindabitey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Since it looks like a slick side upper, the brass will whip around and hit the side. I've got a couple of the slick side uppers. Looks normal to me.
Maliois- French for "You don't want one"
Because it's fun, and I can, that's why

Offline r.tenorio671

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
...most likely it is from the brass casing hitting it as you yank back on your non-reciprocating charging handle.  If the "marking" has a slight yellowish or goldish color to it then it's from the brass.   Even though you have a non-reciprocating upper, when you manually charge the action to eject a fired round if behaves the same way as a semi-auto, i.e., the extractor pulls to the right and the ejector pushes to the right as well.  Once the BCG reaches a certain rearward point that the front of the fired casing clears the front of your ejection port opening and the "rightward" forces of the extractor and ejector cause the casing to be flipped out and around...

If the "marking" really bothers you, a quick solution is glue a piece of padding like a small strip of velcro over the area to absorb the impact.

edit: the "puffy" part of velcro, not the rigid hook part....

Offline towerofpower93

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
Looks similar to what you get on a brass deflector on a traditional upper. Maybe a little less brass colored and a little more dinged up finish, but that may also be due to the finish applied to the upper compared to the parkerizing or other/harder mil spec finishes I have on my DD and Colt uppers.

Any idea what finish was applied to your upper receiver?

Offline justDee

• View Profile

Offline triggerpull pull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
As your case is ejected it's quite common that it gets "flipped" back to the rear edge of the ejection port because of the pivot moment the extractor and ejector create--this a sign they are working properly. Your receiver looks tailored made to "bite" cases by virtue of that pointy rear edge. I don't mess with those markers and goos--most of them come off anyway--instead I take a piece of the fuzzy portion of Velcro tape and cut it to fit the impact point on the ejection port (or simply cover the deflector on a regular AR receiver)--this also will help reduce the damage to your cases.

Offline justDee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
When I first used the pen, I was under the assumption that I dinged it on something.  Since then, realizing it's the brass that is causing it, I have left it alone.  But the Velcro is a great idea and solution to the problem, I will try that.  Thanks, appreciate the heads up

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
A rail mounted brass catcher will also solve the issue. I had the same thing going on with my 458 Socom. Got a brass catcher and zero issues.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline Shockwave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
I had the same issue.  Installed the Geissele H1 buffer and spring combo from Midway.  It solved all issues and minimized felt recoil.

Offline justDee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »
Shockwave, I'll look into the buffer and spring, thanks.

Offline Jack D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
 an adjustable gas block may also help to slow the bcg speed to the same effect!0
Seekins adj gas block is only $57