Author Topic: Ejector swipes with factory ammo  (Read 599 times)

Offline PA Valkyrie

• View Profile
Ejector swipes with factory ammo
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
I went to the range today and fired a box of Federal 70gr TMJ, a box of Federal 90gr SMK, and a box (20 rds) of handloads (77gr TMK over CFE223). When I was home punching out primers to save the brass, I noticed some pretty severe ejector swipe marks on about 10-12 of the factory brass. Unfortunately, I wasnt checking for case issues at the range, so I dont know WHICH factory load was the culprit. But I do know it was factory loads that had the swipe marks because the primers were factory-sealed with the blue lacquer. Im suspecting the 90gr TMKs because I shot a couple boxes of the 70gr TMKs before with no problems. There were no flattened primers on the factory loads, although the handloads had flattening because they were loaded with CCI 400s, which flatten if you sneeze on them. A couple primer swipes had enough of a burr to interfere with insertion into the shell holder on the press. Has anybody else seen this happening at all?

FYI, I have a Sanders 24 upper with a match-grade barrel, rifle-length gas system, non-adjustable gas block, and a compensator.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and you don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."