Author Topic: Something Different  (Read 262 times)

Offline Zad Fnark

• View Profile
Something Different
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've an oddball question.  I'm looking to try pushing some Barnes 36 gr "Varmint Grenade" bullets through the Valkyrie.  Of course, I can't find any load data for the Valk for bullets that light.  There is load data out there for .22 Nosler.  I could probably crack 4,000 fps with these things.  After 300 yds, though they'll drop like a rock.

Would Nosler loads be safe.  I know the case volume between them is fairly close, but I don't want to have any pressure issues if I tried it.

Thanks

Ed

Offline PA Valkyrie

• View Profile
Re: Something Different
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »
I would just start with the 50gr data on the Hodgdon site and work my way up, watching for pressure signs. Pick a good light-bullet powder like Benchmark or 8208 XBR. Here's another tip: be sure to have some good copper fouling remover on hand! Lol!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and you don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline Zad Fnark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
Yeah, I was leaning towards CFE 223, if a load existed for it.

Offline KRC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
Interesting project . . .

Barnes Varmint Grenade > "The bullet remains intact at ultra-high velocities in fast twist barrels"
But ~4000fps in a 6.5T or 7T twist???

I would not be surprised if this bullet is very inaccurate in the 224V due to long? "jump" from case to barrel lands, and shows inconsistent velocities due to the jump. I have doubts it will remain intact at that velocity level in that twist.

But I wouldn't want to be a ground squirrel if it works.