Author Topic: Coyote Hunting  (Read 911 times)

Offline Vartarg

• View Profile
Coyote Hunting
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
The only reason I just picked up a PSA 224V upper is to use in NM for shooting coyotes. I've killed them with .223, .204. .243 and 6X45 but I think the 224V is an ideal solution for longer range shots on yotes.

Lack of bullets are an issue right now, but I'm looking at the Berger 64gr Varmint and the Sierra 65gr Gameking. I also have a good supply of Hornady 80gr Amax that are worth a try.

Hopefully Berger, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady will come to the market with some of the longer, heavier game bullets that the 224V was designed for.

George

Offline justDee

• View Profile
Re: Coyote Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
Looking forward to reading your reports and success stories

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:59 AM »
I'm also looking forward to some longer heavier hunting projectiles. I shot a few pigs with factory Fusions and I was impressed but I don't think they're sold as reloading components just loaded ammo. The 88 grain ELDs will put a hole in a jug of water that's so small it takes a few days for the water to leak out of it🤠

Offline Vartarg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »
The 88 grain ELDs will put a hole in a jug of water that's so small it takes a few days for the water to leak out of it🤠

Well that's a bummer for sure....I'd been thinking about trying it. 😒

Offline christine.peggcarrigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
Barnes has 78 grain TSX available.   

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
Using a PSA Barrel.

Hornady makes 70gr GMX bullets as well.  They hit the lands a lot sooner in my rifle compared to the 75gr ELD's.

70GMX COAL = 2.152" or 1.753 ogive measurement hits the lands.
70ELD COAL = 2.313" or 1.763 ogive measurement hits the lands.

My guess is those with accuracy issues due to the long jumping to the lands....  They would have zero issues with reloading the GMX bullets. Our magazines allow 2.300" length and the GMX hit the lands way before the max mag length.

I would love to see some GMX bullets in 95gr for the Valkyrie.  I think they would be a real shooter!  I run nothing but GMX superperformance in my 6.5 creedmoor and I have yet to reload for that gun because they are so accurate. .30" groups are the norm.  My creedmoor has the poly tips which help with BC.  I wish they would do the same for the GMX in .224.

2.065 COAL gets past the second cannular and seats the bullet all the way.  That means it would have .087" jump to the lands.

If you seated it right inbetween the two cannular areas on the bullet you would get 2.135" which would give me .13 of jump.  Which I think would be about perfect.

Pictures below.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:00:02 PM by Alaska_guy »

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Vartarg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
Many thanks for the response....just ordered a box of the Barnes 70's....

George

Offline Romad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
Midsouth Shooters Supply has Hornady 62gr BTHP for 52.00 per 500. Midsouth is the only place that carry them.

Offline BG_Valkyrie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
I have Fed up a few yotes with the 65 grain Game King in 223 ARs. In the Valkyrie I would expect even better results. I have some loaded but Ylee Coyote hasnt made his appearance yet to be certain. 75 grain Gold Dots may be good as well, but I havent loaded any.

Offline christine.peggcarrigan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »
I decided to run out Sunday morning and see if I could call in a coyote before church.  I grabbed my 85 gr Barnes match burners instead of the 78 gr TSXs.  Oops.

Shot this one at about 100 yards.  Tiny .224 sized entrance as expected about a 3" x 3" exit in the offside armpit.

The thin jacket on the match burner makes it less than ideal for pelts.... but every coyote is worth at least 50.00 out here. :)

I hope the pictures aren't too gory.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:28:09 PM »
Nice work! I can guess how far he ran before expiring! 0. I shot 2 pigs a few months ago with my Valkyrie and they both dropped in their tracks. Pretty impressive for a ".22"

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 02:30:57 AM »
Awesome!!  Thanks for posting some in field results.  Looks very promising!

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »
Right on! Waiting on firearms deer season to be over here. Then. It. Is. On!

Offline Foil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
I'm also looking forward to some longer heavier hunting projectiles. I shot a few pigs with factory Fusions and I was impressed but I don't think they're sold as reloading components just loaded ammo. The 88 grain ELDs will put a hole in a jug of water that's so small it takes a few days for the water to leak out of it🤠

Hmm.  That hasn't been my experience with the bullet.  I've taken a deer and a couple coyotes with the 88gr ELD-M and my results on the coyotes were virtually the same as Christine's match-burner.  Nasty little bullet.