Author Topic: Freebore mistake  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Constructor

• Vendor
    • View Profile
    • ARP- AR Performance
Re: Freebore mistake
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
Constructor, does this mean that Wilson combat have done it correctly or should I still be weary?
The company that makes Wilson Combats barrels use PTG reamers so I would say all of the barrels made before the 3rd week of July will have the long freebore.  It will take some time but I assume everyone will figure it out and start using corrected reamers.
AR15Performance.com
I've given up posting facts, those spreading BS outnumber me.

Offline Breiss13

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
I received the correct SAAMI spec barrels this morning. None of the following factory ammo touches the lands as loaded. 60 Nosler(2.17), 75tmj(2.137), 88ELD(2.25), 90gr SMK(2.25). The 88ELD and 95SMK can be set out to 2.325 without touching the lands.  The 90gr SMK touches the lands at apx 2.276...seems like 2.266 would be a good place to start.

Good news. Is there a way to get a barrel from you with 1/2x28 threads?. Have a can already purchased I wanted to use on this. Also any idea when you will open the stock for these on your site?

Offline Constructor

• Vendor
    • View Profile
    • ARP- AR Performance
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
Sorry but all of these barrels have 5/8" threads.
AR15Performance.com
I've given up posting facts, those spreading BS outnumber me.

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I can confirm what Constructor said, mine was purchased from Wilson Combat in June. I made a case for my stoney point gauge but screwed it up a bit, corrected my mistake and it measures 2.395 to the lands with a 95 SMK. Wilson wants to test my  upper before they will exchange my barrel.
Not sure I want to go thru the hassle just to probably get another one just like it.

Offline Breiss13

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
Yeah definitely gonna try and get my hands on one of constructors barrels but also want a proper freebore barrel with 1/2x28 threads so I can shoot some suppressed as well. Anyone know anybody doing this?

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
This company makes 1/2" thread.  They are CHEAP barrels.  However, I do own one in 6.5 grendel and it shoots under 1MOA with factory gunner ammo.  No idea what their chamber is like.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrel-assemblies/bca-ar-15-barrel-18-4150-stainless-steel-mid-weight-barrel-224-valkyrie-mid-length-gas-system-w-1-7-twist

My grendel barrel is their heavy with flutes.

I have heard more bad things than good about this company just FYI.  It's not a quality barrel by any means.

Looks like ballistic advantage and BSF offer 1/2" threaded.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:06:35 PM by Alaska_guy »

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
The Larue barrel is 1/2x28. But it is hard to find just the barrel. I got mine off AR15.com. It's a pretty heavy profile. Shoots very good.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline Breiss13

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
Yeah I think the Larue and BA barrels are both using the improper Reamers causing the large freebore

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
Yeah I think the Larue and BA barrels are both using the improper Reamers causing the large freebore

My Larue barrel is actually pretty accurate with almost anything Iíve put in it. Including factory 90SMKs. Those were giving me less than 1Ē at 100 yards. Still the best for me has been the 88ELDs. Like I said the barrel is a bit heavy. Which is why Iím looking for something better. Or maybe a reprofile of this one.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
Hello,
Do we have any info as to if PTG has corrected this issue with new valkyrie reamers that are being produced?  I had just contacted my barrel manufacturer (Faxon) after measuring my freebore and they seemed to be unaware of the issue.  My freebore was long, by around .05 but they said that the old reamers that were around from making my barrel were worn and have been replaced.  I asked them to check to see if their current ones were in SAAMI spec.  Waiting to hear what they say.  But i was wondering if anyone knew if PTG had fixed this issue yet?

Constructor?

Also they did offer me and RMA to send my barrel in to have it inspected for quality control.  Mine is not shooting good with factory 90grs or hornady 88gr eldms.  Also i havent been able to get reloads to shoot better then 2 to 4 inch ish groups at 100.