Author Topic: Berger 90grn. VLD's?  (Read 858 times)

Offline KRC

• View Profile
Berger 90grn. VLD's?
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:45:28 AM »
I still have months of wait for my ordered 224V barrel, but am assembling the rest of the upper and ordering reloading components.

Berger bullets shoot very well for me in other cartridges (22BR, 6BR, 6.5x55S), usually better than comparable Sierra's. Yet there is little info here on the .224 90 grn. Berger VLD (Berger# 22423). Is it because these are not hunting bullets, or are too pricey?

My interest is target shooting only, and I don't mind a few extra $ for improved precision, but don't want to order problematic bullets. Barrel will be 6.5T.

I'm ordering some other stuff today, and wondering should I pick up some of these. (Just an FYI - I have not been able to get Hornady ELD-M's to shoot as well as Sierra's or Berger's in either 6BR or 6.5x55S, so won't try these, at least to start.)

Also, is Starline still the best 224V brass (on sale Midway)?
Thanks.

Offline PA Valkyrie

• View Profile
Re: Berger 90grn. VLD's?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:29:53 PM »
I haven't played the Berger 90's yet, but I have experimented with the 82gr LRBT-T. Not too much good to report there yet, best group was 1.2" @ 100yds with 25.5gr CFE223. I've got a test ladder loaded with Berger 75gr VLD-T's over Varget (23.5-25.5gr), but I haven't been able to shoot them yet. Too damn cold lately! I use Bergers with great success in my .243 Rem 700V.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and you don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."