Author Topic: Reloading once fired Hornady Brass  (Read 624 times)

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
Re: Reloading once fired Hornady Brass
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »
Cool well i will go get a reamer and give that a try.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
So went and got an rcbs small primer pocket reamer tool.  Seemed to be doing its job by reaming and uniforming the pocket, small little bras shavings were coming out and the pocket looked very shiney after they were done.  But apparently off center is still off center no matter how uniform it is.  Still ended up with smooshed and deformed primers in about half of about 10 that i tried.  Even tried using the priming tool on my hornady lock n load AP press.  Results were the same.  I let hornady know, but they haven't responded to my ticket in a while.

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
Has anyone else tried reloading hornady valkyrie brass yet and run into the same issue?

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
I just reloaded some factory hornady 88gr ELD's without issue.

1. Buy RCBS .223 swage tool #09495
2. Put the small primer tool in the base of your single stage press
3. Put in the small swage pin in the die, but back it all the way out.
4. thread die body into the press just a few turns.
4. Put a piece of hornady brass in the primer pocket swage base.
5. Lower handle so brass goes into die body.
6. Screw die body down until you hit the neck of the case, then back out a few turns.
7. Tighten down body die lock ring.
8. Slowly screw down the small pin until it hits the bottom of the case.
9. Put the handle in the up position so the brass is all the way out of the die body.
10. Turn the small pin a complete revolution so it is a little lower,  lower the handle of the press and you should feel the small pin and the bottom swager cleaning out the primer pockets.

Continue to screw down the pin until you feel tension when the press handle is all the way in the down stroke.

You should now have properly swaged brass.

Here is a picture of my reloads.

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
I am using Remington 7.5 bench rest primers.  If you are having an issue using cci small rifle primers its because they are a tad oversized.  Maybe try a different primer?  I normally use CCI after my primer pockets start feeling a little loose with my remington 7.5's.  That way I get a little more out of my brass life.

Man, I am giving away all my secrets.  :-\

Offline 10 November

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
Had the same problem with my factory loaded
 brass. I was using CCI 400 primers.
Im going back to S&B primers to see if the CCIs are thicker as mentioned by a previous poster. (Thanks for that by the way). All I can find for S&B brass on the internet is primed already but it's a start.

Offline wuzuprad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, though i gave up on the hornady and didnt do any of that.  I bought 250 pieces of starline brass and primed with no issues.  Though, Alaska_guy from your photo it looks like your brass actually has a primer hole that is centered to the casing.  You can see all 4 center line markings around the primer.  My cases always had one line missing because the cases were off center.  Anyways im testing out the star line brass now and it seems to be off good quality.  Looks great, primers go right in and loads so far have been good.  Ill post later on when i finally get a good load for the gun worked up and shooting well.

Offline 10 November

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
Glad to hear you found some brass you prefer.
I went ahead and reprimed the troublesome Hornady with S&B and it went much smoother.  No deformed primers like I had using CCI 400. So I'll use cci 400 in the FC brass and S&B in the Hornady.I think I'll hunt down S&B brass next.  Hope the Starline work for you.

Offline Shockwave

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
I'd say those are crimped primer pockets from Hornady.  Get a crimp removal tool or look at other brass to reload.