Author Topic: twist rate  (Read 163 times)

Offline bficht07

• View Profile
twist rate
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
Good morning,

I am sure this has been debate left and right, and if this isn't the right place for this question please let me know and ill delete it,

I am building my first precision rifle, I have everything I need but the barrel and bolt head and this is where I am lost, I have been all over the internet trying to figure out what will work out best for twist rate for the .224. all I plan on doing with the rifle is shoot paper/steel and maybe do a few long range comps at some of the local gun ranges. I am looking to shoot mostly the federal 77 grain target round, and just the sierra match king 90's, I am looking to get a 24 inch barrel but the only issue is what twist rate is going to be best.

thank you for your time.

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
Re: twist rate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 05:53:28 AM »
My 24" Kreiger 1:7 twist has stabilized everything I've fed it up to 95 grains. (I have 1400+ rounds through it mostly with 88 ELDs)Some have had problems with 1:7 twist in shorter barrels (16-18")
So... from my experience 1:7 is optimum for a 24" barrel

Offline Rlb40x

• View Profile
Re: twist rate
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »
Your probably ahead to go with a 7 twist for what you described.
I have a 6.5 twist and it shoots the 75s,90s & 95s great, but not so good with the 60s. I think the 6.5 over spins the lighter weight bullets.