Author Topic: Junk  (Read 202 times)

Offline Shockwave

• View Profile
Junk
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:45:57 AM »
Well I finally had a chance to get out and put some rounds through my PSA upper yesterday.  Highly disappointed to say the least.  3 different types of ammo and best groups were 1.5" at 100 yards with Federal Tmj.  3" groups with 90gr fusion and 4" groups with 75gr eldm's.  I called PSA and sent the upper back.  Hoping the new one will be different, but not holding my breath.  At first I was thinking maybe my scope was shifting.  Drove home and ensured everything was torqued to spec.  All was well.  Oh well, looks like maybe I'll be going with a 6.5 grendel if this 2nd upper doesn't perform.

Online Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Junk
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »
Hmm, that's not good.  No issues with my PSA barrel so far.  I had the best luck with the 88gr eld factory ammo.  I reload so I haven't tried the other ammo.

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »
Sorry to hear the disappointment. Sad to say it but so far the Valkyrie seems to be a handloader's thing so far. The folks that only use factory ammo are usually not happy at all. The barrel manufacturers need to get it together of this thing will disappear.

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
Shockwave, sorry about your bad experience! I have 1400 rounds through My Valkyrie and thought I would share my experience. Factory stuff: 90 gr SMKs were horrible. 90 gr Fusions were consistently under .5 moa ( who'd a thunk it) and 60 gr Federals were horrible.
Reloading started off rough but when I finally tried RL-15 and ELDs it all came together and I haven't looked back. Consistent.5 moa to 600 yards and many .5 and sub . 5 moa groups at 1000 bu not consistent. .7-.8 is more the average at 1000. Wind and mediocre shooting skills!
Anyway my point is it's not the round. 224 Valkyrie is a very capable round. Not sure why so many have trouble with accuracy. I don't put them together just shoot them! But the guy that built mine has had no accuracy issues.

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
Well that does suck, my Larue barrel is almost boringly accurate.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline afreemann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
Mine is a SRC lower, with a Rainier 24" 1:7 , matched bolt,  shoots factory Federal Fusions at 1 moa 100 and 200yds, shoots Hornady ELD M 88gr at .5 moa.  A little different approach with the SRC, but so far very good results.

Offline smurfslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
You can pick up a 1x6.5Ē twist barrel from another manufacturer.  Donít get me wrong, PSA makes some good stuff.  My buddy and I both bought PSA 308 barrels and assembled.  His is consistently about .25-.4 more precise.  Heís gotten right around MOA from that barrel, Iím right around 1.3Ē.  Weíve swapped guns, ammo and averaged it all out and he just got the better 308 barrel. 

Itís not hard to barrel an AR15 upper, but be forewarned:  Itís addictive. 

I realize itís not an ideal or possibly wanted response.  Of course, Iíd want an assembled upper to work and produce good groups, but donít rule out making your own.
I just got my 224v zeroed at 100 with 4 promising hand loads, and of course the 88ELD running under MOA and Iíve had it working since September.  I wonít lie, some of my handholds sucked.  some were very good.  I got the barrel, bolt, carrier, gas block and tube from Bison, and have nothing but good feedback on them.

Good luck !

Offline christine.peggcarrigan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
I sent my first 20" PSA upper back to them. I couldn't even get a 1.5" group with multiple different handloads.

PSA rebarreled the upper and had ot back to me in three weeks.

I haven't had time to work on handloads again but the new barrel shows promise.

I hope to get it to be LR competition worthy, but for now, it's definitely shooting MOC. (Minute of Coyote)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk