Author Topic: Hunting with the .224 Valkyrie  (Read 68 times)

Offline timbo762

• View Profile
Hunting with the .224 Valkyrie
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
First, let me say that I no longer hunt but I did "back in the day" and have been a serious about firearms and shooting since 1960. When I first read about the Valkyrie I admit to being a little "ho hum" since I've seen a lot of new ammo designs come and go over the years. But as I dug a little deeper, I realized what a great "all around" cartridge it is for the AR-15 platform. The .224 Valkyrie duplicates the ballistics of the long forgotten .22 Savage Hi Power, a70gr, bullet at 3000fps. The .22 Savage Hi Power (aka 5.6x52mmR in Europe) had a great reputation as a quick killer back in the first part of the 20th Century. WDM "Karamojo" Bell used it to kill a Cape Buffalo and I remember seeing old Savage literature talking about Rev. H.R.Caldwell using it with great success on tigers. Since the AR has become "America's Rifle" and given modern bullet designs, I think the Val will be the "ideal" round for that rifle whether target shooting or hunting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:09:29 AM by timbo762 »

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
Re: Hunting with the .224 Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
The Valkyrie has a lot going for it in that it "fits" in some niches as far as hunting with the ar platform.
I no longer hunt whitetails but because infestations of coyotes that are hard on cattle here I have taken up coyote hunting to help out some cattle producers. I noticed that given equal opportunity to grab a bolt gun to go hunt I was most often going for the M4. It just fits better. The 224 has the promise of giving me extended ranges over the 223. Long shots I wouldn't take with the 223 I will with the Val.