Author Topic: PSA 20" Valkarie opinions  (Read 736 times)

Offline Randy_Lahey

• View Profile
PSA 20" Valkarie opinions
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
I have 2 PSA 20" Valkarie barrels.   I'm a bit concerned after reading that PSA may have been using the "bad" chamber reamer resulting in anything over 75gr FMJ not shooting well.

I've shot both setups and have been relatively happy with them.  Shoots the Federal 75gr FMJ at 1MOA or so.  I've only shot Federal 90gr fusion otherwise and that seems to shoot MOA with an occasional flier every 3-5 shots that bring the group out to 2-3 MOA.

I am going to start reloading this week with Hornady 75gr, 80gr, and 88gr ELD match bullets.   I've heard the 80/88's won't shoot well in the "bad" reamer chambers.

Can anyone assuage my fears that I'll be wasting my time developing loads for these barrels?   I guess either way I'll load some up to test, but I hear this is a very finicky round anyway to find the right combo with.   I guess I need some validation from other's that they are having good success with similar pills.
thx

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PSA 20" Valkarie opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:41 AM »
80gr eld's shoot great out of my PSA.

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
88 ELD's with either Power Pro 2000MR or WIN760 produced sub MOA groups in 8 of 13 tested loads
in my Wilson Combat barrel with the mile long throat. 4 of those loads were very close to half MOA.

Offline JRK57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
My 20 PSA upper shoots 1/2 groups with the factory made 88 Gr. ELDMs.

Im still working on the perfect reload, its been very challenging.

Seating the bullet out to a COL of 2.275 has helped with my upper, but Im still working on it.

Offline dhy808

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
My PSA Valkyrie barrel's chamber measured out of spec.  I contacted PSA and they requested that I return it.  Not sure what they plan to do about it.  The out of spec chamber is supposed to cause inconsistency in grouping.  This is the problem that I had, sometimes tight, sometimes wide spread.  Some say that the 1:7 twist is not fast enough for 90 grainers.  I have seen some luck with 80 grain bullets but I believe to get consistency you need a closer spec'd barrel.  Most of the earlier barrels were manufactured out of spec due to out of spec reamers.

Offline cbcanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
dhy808 - curious to hear what happened with your out of spec PSA 20 -- they are all out of spec.  Did they replace it with a barrel with the correct chamber?

Offline binazone

• View Profile
Re: PSA 20" Valkyrie opinions - Here's some numbers. Anyone have an answer?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
dhy - below is my post from 12/7. Maybe you or someone else with the same barrel can compare notes and perhaps the question whether or not the PSA 20" 1:7 is spec or not can be answered? Since PSA hasn't said it is and recalled them, maybe the "jumps" I'm seeing might be helpful in getting answer.

quote follows:

I've been curious about the topic of "jump" and "freebore" and now that I have my 224V modified case I'm able to put some numbers to it.
What I'm using:
PSA 20", 1:7 - 75 ELDMs seated out to 2.295" @ 2900 fps and quite accurate
Using the modified case, I measured the 75s touch the lands at 2.309" COAL.
Likewise, the 88ELDMs I just got touch the lands at 2.328".

Using 2.300" (mag length with my ASC mags) as reference, am I correct in saying that the 75s would "jump" only .009" and the 88s (not tested yet)would "jump" a bit further at .028"?
I hope the math is that simple.

The other question that comes to mind is do these numbers indicate whether or not the PSA barrel is to SAAMI spec or not? The barrel is quite accurate, so no issues here whether it is or not, just curious since PSA won't answer that question.

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
Your math is correct, 88's in my barrel are within the +/- as yours. 75 ELD's I have not used but Berger75VLD's are at 2.340
and 78gr TSX are 2.305. When determining what jump I would use I used Berger,s method and went on from there. Barnes
suggested .050 jump on the78grn and it worked very well for me on top of IMR4064. And yes our barrels are messed up.
ARP has stopped making barrels until this is all straightened up.

Offline binazone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
Hammerhead, thanks for the feedback.

So, this begs the question; is there one "correct SAMMI spec jump" for all of the VLD type bullets this round was designed for? I realize all the variables that come into play with seating depth, mag length, etc. might make this a silly question to ask, but I'll post it anyway.

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
There was a write up in a Berger manual I had some time ago that stated the VLD's perform better in  a "sweet spot" somewhere
between .030 and .040 wide and that band was somewhere between being .010 jammed and .150 jumped.

Using the modified case to measure distance to the lands I could determine that I could get nowhere near a .010 jam due to
mag restrictions. So basically I would go in .010 increments until I found a length that will fit in my mag. The 75 VLD is
2.340 to the lands. My mags will allow a seating to 2.306 max, so subtract .040 ( just a good round number to start with)
and you come up with a COAL of 2.300 and that fits my mag. Using that coal set up a test of whichever powder you want
in .5 grain increments and you should find a group that is smaller than the rest. With that load start shortening the COAL
in.003 increments until you find the smallest group.

If you go to Berger's website that article is still there I'm sure. As for a set or SAAMI spec for jump I don't think exists but
some bullet makers like Barnes are kind enough to help us out with a suggestion because they discovered in their own
testing a jump that works well.

Offline binazone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 12:38:12 PM »
Great info and just what I was looking for. Thanks very much.