Author Topic: Valkyrie REDUX  (Read 1221 times)

Online Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie REDUX
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
Pretty much sums up what I was thinking.  If you can push the 80's a lot faster while still obtaining accuracy its going to be a clear winner.  The key I believe is how fast you can push the bullets while still remaining accurate.  If I could push an 88 around 2900 fps compared to an 80 at 3000 fps I would take the 88 all day due to the BC and sectional density.   In reality I think both are going to be so close in real world testing it shouldn't matter which one you shoot.  Especially if we are talking 1000 yards.

I haven't tested a single 88 grain ELD reload...  The reason why is two fold.

1. I can obtain 80 grain ELD's locally pretty much anytime I need more.
2. I believe I can push them at or around 2900 fps accurately out of my 20" barrel.

There are two ways to get a bullet to a target faster.  Either A) more velocity or B) reduce the drag on the bullet

BC relates to how easily a bullet moves through the air which is based off a bullets density, which is the ratio of the bullets mass and cross sectional area and its particular shape.  The higher the BC the less drag on the bullet, the less drag on the bullet the quicker it reaches it's target and the less it is affected by wind and gravity.

With that information, velocity doesn't equal accuracy, it just means its less affected by wind/gravity.

Soo...  I guess what I am saying is pretty much exactly what Constructor believes.  If you can push a pill fast enough and accurately enough the gain of the BC on the 88's wont matter.  That was my thought process going into reloading the 80's and that's why I continue to test with them.   8)

The whole deal with sectional density and the grendel guys...  Well, they are grendel guys. :P  Sectional density only matters significantly when you are comparing different calibers IMO.  IE: a smaller bullet with a good sectional density will penetrate better than a bigger bullet with the same sectional density.  The only reason I own the grendel is due to the fact that I have a 6.5 creedmoor and wanted to streamline my components on the shelf by using the same 120 grain projectile reloads in both guns.

As always thanks for the insight!