Author Topic: The olí Valkyrie  (Read 317 times)

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
The olí Valkyrie
« on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:34 AM »
I havenít been very active on this forum lately. When I do check in there are very few new posts.
My inactivity is because my Valkyrie is almost boringly accurate and reliable. I tend to search forums to solve problems and I donít have any problems with the Valkyrie ( except crappy brass).
Itís still one of my favorite rounds and one of my favorite guns ( itís my only AR) It is mainly my truck gun now, used for quick engagements while riding the property. Had a friend out to shoot at our range a couple days ago and he left his ammo at home! I handed him the Valkyrie, 50 rounds ,and ballistic app. He started with a group at 100 yds since thatís where I had it sighted. Clover leaf sub 1/2Ē. Went to 350 where we have a 6Ē and 3Ē gong. Dead center on the 6Ē so went for the 3Ē. Dead center! Went to 400- dead center on the 6Ē gong. Went to 500- same then proceeded to annihilate the water bottles that were set up at 500. His first time shooting this rifle and he is not an experienced shooter. Shot around 20 rounds and I think missed one water bottle.
Iíve shot it at 1000 yards with great results. The Valkyrie is an amazing round for .224 cal!

Offline Liberator52

• View Profile
Re: The olí Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
I'm glad to hear of your success with the rifle. I too have had few changes since I last added to these pages. I have , however,  just picked up a new 24 in. 1-7 twist upper that I'll be playing with. Are you shooting reloads or factory ? What weight bullets does it favor ? My first Valkyrie is also boringly accurate. I've developed loads from 52 gn. ELD 's to 95 SMK's.  It's a 20 in. 1-6.5 twist and seems to be bullet weight tolerant. I don't have a chrono. so, they may be slow. Chuck

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:56 PM »
Fresh paint on an moa gong at 600. Cup of coffee on the bench. Everything set. Take a deep breath. BOOM..Clang. BOOM..Clang. BOOM..Clang. Pause briefly, sip coffee. Continue. BOOM..Clang. BOOM.. Clang. POI all in one bullet splash in the center of the gong. Grin cause everyone is staring at you.  ;D

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »
Thanks for checking in.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline igotta40

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
Thanks, this is encouraging. Iím still working on mine, still shooting factory ammo.

Offline highside

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 12:37:02 AM »
Thanks, this is encouraging. Iím still working on mine, still shooting factory ammo.

Keep at it. I'm hitting 4 inch steel at 600 with a 14.5 inch barrel. But you really need to reload, if for nothing else it's just cheaper.
Did you know there are rings around Uranus?

18 XRAY Embrace the  suck.

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »
Yeah, I think the valkyrie got some bad press early on with bad results with off the shelf ammo.  I myself have had great results with the valkyrie and it too is boringly accurate just like my creedmoor.  It's a great round for sure!

Offline a12driver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »
I agree about the Valkyrie being boringly accurate. Recently went to the range with my brother-in-law. He had never fired a gun in his life. After a brief safety talk and firing a few shots with a bolt action .22 in my back yard, we headed to the local range. At the 300 yard range, he fired over 20 rounds at 18", 12" and 6" steels. He didn't miss a shot.
Another trip to the range with another buddy, experienced shooter and ex-Marine. After firing 10 rounds at 500 yards, he turn to me and said, "This is too easy!"