Author Topic: Thoughts on using 224 for deer, hogs, or exotics  (Read 536 times)

Offline adcast0426

• View Profile
Thoughts on using 224 for deer, hogs, or exotics
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
So I get a lot of crap from guys that shoot 300 win mag, 30-06, and even .308, for hunting with my .224 Valkyrie. I have taken hogs that have been the same size (200 lbs range) as these same guys but when they see I am using an AR to hunt with I get the "oh that's a toy gun it wont work on these hogs" all that time from them. My question to my fellow Valkyrie users that actually hunt with it, what are your thoughts on using this round for hunting? I use 78 grain federal premium on hogs and deer and the hornady 60 grain round for varmints and predators. I have had no reason to think this round wasn't enough as I have not had any run more than 20 yards and most of my shots are neck shots. I know shot placement has a lot to do with success but is bigger always better in this situation. Let me know your thoughts and what you feel.

Offline AzCasper

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on using 224 for deer, hogs, or exotics
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
My .02 worth....

I have used the AR platform on hogs in Texas for the last three years. My Vaklyrie will be going on the next hunt, when this Covid mess eases up. There is NO doubt in my mind that it will be effective. I am working on loads as I write this!

I bought a BUNCH of 90 grain Fusion bullets and can't wait to test powders.

Take your AR to the field and enjoy it!

AzCasper

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »
Dead Is Dead Hogs don't know the dif from a 06 308 or 224 Val  I shot a 220 Swift for many years with 52 gr BTHP Match I killed right about 25 Deer all One shot not a one took a step  the same group of 270 06 308 Guys were amazed There is one thing I don't like about high velotity rounds do a bunch of meat damage lots of Rasbeerry jello  . These guns Kill great My Buddy's nephew shot a fair sized Mule Deer at 300 yards it went down like a 20 ton safe out of a 50 story building  it was 90 grain Fusion . I have a AR in 6 BR 6X45 AI 7.62X39 224 Val 223 Wiylde they are all great  DD

Offline Alaska_guy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
Should be a great deer gun!  We use .223 on caribou up here.  Never been hog hunting so I can't speak on that.

Offline RDF1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Im a little late to the party here..
but ive used a regular ole 223 for deer and hogs in mississippi for years.
Even on deer depredation on farms the 223 works really good with the right bullets.

Took several hundred hogs with 64gr Gold Dots and 77gr match bullets with no issues.

I get a kick out of the arguments at work. Guys think they need a 300 RUM just to deer hunt with and their longest shot is 150 yards. But they still have to call the guy with the deer tracking dogs to go find their deer every time.

Ive taken deer out to 675 yards with a 20" 223 using 73gr ELDMs. Before that i shot several hundred of those rounds from 100-800 yards so i knew the drop  to true my data and i had my range finder.

Shot placement is key no matter the caliber.

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 04:50:37 AM »
I have shot a few pigs with my Valkyrie. Last one about a week ago. 200 Lb boar at 200 yards. Never even twitched. Head shot. 90 grain fusion. With a small caliber round , shot placement is everything. Gut shoot a 150 Lb deer with a 300 Win Mag and it probably won’t go far. Same shot with a 224 and it might make it to the next county. I shoot long range regularly and would be comfortable shooting a pig , a doe or a cull buck at 4-500 yards in the right circumstances with the Valkyrie. A big Swamp Donkey steps out at 500 yards I would prefer the 300 Win Mag! ( I don’t own one btw ) I say that because of what happened last year. I had just practiced at 100-400 yards with my Valkyrie with BDC reticle. Last 3 shots were in a 2” sticky target at 300 yards, about a 1.5” group. Drove 1 mile, walked to my stand (basically a 4’x8’ house with a bench rest set up). Opened the window and the biggest buck I’ve ever looked at through a scope was standing there at 400 yards. He started walking toward me and stopped at 300 facing me. I had crosshairs on his neck but at last minute dropped down to the wider neck chest area. Sounded like a ball bat hitting a pine tree when it hit him. He took off and I found no blood. None. Searched for hours. Many hours! He wouldn’t have went far with a 300 WM and would have left a good blood trail. If I had shot him in the neck like I was about to he would have dropped in his tracks. Yes I had buck fever, first time in many years! Felt good but affected my judgement and the result still haunts me. Moral of the story...shot placement

Offline RDF1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
Patience , Practice, and Shot Placement.. Had a lot of deer walk closer the longer i waited.