Author Topic: Testing has commenced. Berger, Nosler, Hornady....OAL variations...powders..  (Read 594 times)

Offline NatoReloading

• View Profile
Hello again.  Donkey Kong here.  (Just kidding).

I have several barrels running now, so I started the reviews. 
Up first, we have Nosler RDF using a plethora of powders.
http://natoreloading.com/RDF/

Impressed with Nosler.  RDF 85 is nearly ideal for Valkyrie.  Its the ONLY bullet with this kind of low drag, you can actually tune well, because the thing hits the LANDS in under magazine length.  That is smart.  So you can try jamming lands, 0 distance, 10k out, 15k, 12k out, 50k out..whatever you want.  FULLY TUNED.  You cannot do this with Sierra, Berger, Hornady in anything in the 85 grain + category that I am aware of. 

Up next, some Hornady 88 ELD.  Limited compared to RDF, but more coming...ALOT MORE...
http://natoreloading.com/88/

Up next, some Hornady 80 ELD.  Limited compared to RDF, but more coming...ALOT MORE...
http://natoreloading.com/80/

Up next Sierra Match King Data
http://natoreloading.com/SMK/

Up next is BERGER.  77 OTM?  Very good.  I only show a few tested here with the 85.5.  But I hate the 85.5.  I tried like 20+ loads with it..in various barrels.  This bullet has the longest jump of any bullet for Valkyrie I am aware of, as the OAL with it is very long to hit the lands.  ~40k past mag length...of 2.3  Terrible design if you ask me.  Opinions...
http://natoreloading.com/855/

Up next LIGHTER BULLETS under 80 grains!!  55 grain bullets KEYHOLING!!
http://natoreloading.com/lighter/

I hope some of my trials and testing, helps some people out there, to save time and money. 

Thank you all
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:25:34 PM by NatoReloading »

Offline Xaddo

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing your test results! Wish you had been about 2 years earlier when I was doing load development. I had more trouble finding an acceptably accurate load for the Valkrie than almost any rifle Iíve loaded for. But, that being said,it all changed when I tried RL-15 with 88 ELDs. 25grains @2.3Ē(max that fit in my mags) Sub .5 moa consistently when I do my part. I have around 1500 rounds through it now most of which were shot at 1000 yards and grouped between 4Ē and 8Ē average. Best group at 600 was 1.5Ē. 5 under 1/2Ē many times @ 100 yds. Needless to say Iím not hating on the Valkyrie. Hope you find the recipe that makes you like it too. 24ĒKreiger 1:7 twist btw

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
Thanks to Federal I now own 4 powders that will never be used in anything, 3or 4 partial boxes of useless bullets, the list is long. It seems like there was some disconnect at Federal during the design of the chamber. In an earlier post in this forum a member had a theory on how it was designed, on a napkin somewhere at happy hour.  Pretty well sums it up. I'm down to my last 150 82bt''s and then I will have to move on since they were discontinued so thanks for the info on the Noslers.

Offline NatoReloading

• View Profile
Thank you.

testing updated, about 60 more loads in links in original post.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:22:59 PM by NatoReloading »

Offline smurfslayer

• View Profile
Just for clarification, your shots are at 50 yards and your group size is actual, at 50, correct?

Good luck with CFE223.  I canít get it to consistently perform.  I drop 5 shots and have a dime sized group.  I drop another 5 and itís gone.
Iíve only found Varget to -consistently- push the 88 eld through my gun.  I have at least 6 powders that produced initial sub MOA groups but when I loaded up more of the same load, things were all over the map.  I now only use 5 shot groups to rule out combinations, and the finalists do a few 10 shot groups to ensure I donít have another time waster.

Great information in your data too, thanks !

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
I do not Do  much shooting at 100 Yards with the 224 Val I do shoot 200 and 300 Yards I shoot 5 or ten shot groups  I did not build this feller for 100 yard work  Plus it is easy for Me to work it out to a Grand When I was Young I cut 3 of my fingers off  LOL  DD
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:51:58 PM by DangerousDan »

Offline NatoReloading

• View Profile
Just for clarification, your shots are at 50 yards and your group size is actual, at 50, correct?

Good luck with CFE223.  I can’t get it to consistently perform.  I drop 5 shots and have a dime sized group.  I drop another 5 and it’s gone.
I’ve only found Varget to -consistently- push the 88 eld through my gun.  I have at least 6 powders that produced initial sub MOA groups but when I loaded up more of the same load, things were all over the map.  I now only use 5 shot groups to rule out combinations, and the finalists do a few 10 shot groups to ensure I don’t have another time waster.

Hello.  All shots are at 50 yards. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:23:25 PM by NatoReloading »

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
 Fun is resuming soon since my supply of Berger 82's is near gone. Win 760, H4895, RE15, RE17 and some more I probably forgot, all could produce .6 or so loads. Under no circumstances will there be any secant ogive bullets tested. That is a complete waste of time with my barrel. Try some  IMR 4064, best results of all the powders tested so far.

Offline smurfslayer

• View Profile

Good luck with CFE223.  I canít get it to consistently perform.  I drop 5 shots and have a dime sized group.  I drop another 5 and itís gone.
Iíve only found Varget to -consistently- push the 88 eld through my gun.  I have at least 6 powders that produced initial sub MOA groups but when I loaded up more of the same load, things were all over the map.  I now only use 5 shot groups to rule out combinations, and the finalists do a few 10 shot groups to ensure I donít have another time waster.

... CFE223?  That powder is similar.  I cannot seem to get it to shoot consistently, it usually has 1 flyer in the group, and if it doesn't, its luck.  The amazing thing was, when I shot 2 groups with it today?  The flyer was in the SAME EXACT SPOT in a new 5 shot group, as the last 5 shot group! LOL 

With TAC, 203B & N140, there is 1 flyer in every group, generally, but the flyer is only like .2 inch away or less.  So I am consistently getting around .6 to 1 MOA. 

So far, I tested 4 barrels, many, many, loads. I am going on 100 different loads.  And I cannot imagine getting .5 MOA consistently with Valkyrie using 80 grain bullets or greater.  It does shoot near 1/2 MOA using standard match 77 grain and less, just like a good 5.56 would. 

I want to know, honestly.  Who? On this planet earth, makes a barrel that can shoot consistent near 1/2 MOA with multiple loads and powders?  Statistics wise, ACROSS ALL ~100+ loads developed, that took SO LONG to prepare?  The average through all barrels is ~1.3 MOA. 

You know what is insane?  I shot a 5 round group today with the VALUE 75 Grain Valkyrie federal ammo?  And it was better than literally ~40 different precision reloads I made.  LOL pathetic.  That is literally rare.  In 5.56?  Even my shiity reloads are better than almost anything commercially loaded.

I certainly feel vindicated that someone campaigning a different barrel having the same woes with CFE223.  Unfortunately, now I have a crap ton of it left so I figured Iíd burn it through .223.  Iíve been using 3031 under 55fmj, have great results across multiple rifles with this load, and 3k fps from a 16Ē barrel.  CFE is ~170fps slower, almost 200 fps slower in pistol length.  I found a good range between 26.8 - 27.0 grains, not far under max but not as consistent per rifle as the 3031 was. 

Live and learn.

Offline NatoReloading

• View Profile
Hello.  I will try some 55 and 3031.  I have not put up page with all the under 80 grain for Valkyrie yet.  That is coming.

Ok guys, so far, I have 170+ different loads tested.

Site is updated. 

Finally found a load that shoots the Berger 85.5 sub MOA consistently.  That is good. 

StaBall 6.5?  Skip it boys.  Not good for Valkyrie at all.  Can't get enough in case.

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
Stay Ball 6.5 is #129 in Burn rate the top is #163 is is slow  slow  But it does shoot very well with 80.5 Berger's The 88 grs did not did well with it in my gun , It the heat it my shine Primers are a big deal with it  Hope this helps DD

Offline Hammerhead

• View Profile
Seems like every load for the Valyrie requires a drop tube. Some are more crunchy than others but almost all of em are a little crunchy.

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
I use a Cheep Vibrator on them DD

Offline NatoReloading

• View Profile
Main post updated with all the bullets I tested so far under 80 grain.  Check out the KEYHOLES in the target from using 55 grain bullets!!

We up to 184 different loads of 5 shot strings tested! 

We up to 22 DIFFERENT Powders tested for Valkyrie!!

We up to 15 different Bullets tested for Valkyrie!!

We up to 4 different Barrels tested!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:29:55 PM by NatoReloading »

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
Main post updated with all the bullets I tested so far under 80 grain.  Check out the KEYHOLES in the target from using 55 grain bullets!!

They call Me Key Hole King LOL  They were not light wts  This little gun is a Fun one  Keep up the good work DD

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:40:07 PM by DangerousDan »