Author Topic: Hornady Brass  (Read 745 times)

Offline uda123cat

• View Profile
Hornady Brass
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
Can anyone provide any information on the quality of Hornady 224 valkyrie brass from the reloading perspective, consistency, etc.

thanks
dan

Offline aziroc

• View Profile
Re: Hornady Brass
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
I have mostly Hornady brass but also federal. Never tried starline so I cant comment on them.

Either way, Hornady or Federal, for me, it's totally random when the brass goes bad.  And by bad I mean the primer pockets are to loose.  I have yet to have to trim any brass, but usually between the 3-5th reload, the primer pockets let go. 

On the valkyrie facebook page, I was able to get in on the primer pocket tool, just waiting on receiving it. Mostly because I'm sitting on about 250-300 "bad" brass, all with the primer pockets that are to loose.  I was doing the acorn nut and hammer trick, but since it's now summer time in Phoenix, I dont shoot. 

Offline Flygrimm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
What is this primer pocket tool you speak of?  Is it one of those gauges or something to shrink the case head down a bit?  I thought some could make something like a pass through die for your press.  Kind of like the Lee bullet sizer dies.

Not a member of Facebook for a variety of reasons.

Stuart

Offline DangerousDan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
The Tool Is made buy Ballistic Tools It is made in Large and small primers  Great tool  Hope this helps DD

Look at this thread http://www.224valkyrieforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=943.0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:31:09 PM by DangerousDan »

Offline aziroc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 01:55:06 AM »
It's not the go/no-go oriner pocket tool (but I highly suggest 1 so you know when the primer pockets go). 

Idk what the offical name if the tool is unfortunately.   It's based on a tool used back in the 80s and no one has made one like it for ever.  Basically it reforms the primer pocket so you cans seat primers again. 

There is another way to do this, the acorn nut and punch thing, but someone on 1 of the Facebook pages got with a machinist and got 50 people to go in on it and make the tool. 

Offline 1000 yrd guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:02:50 AM »
I bought 100 Hornady early on and got anywhere from 5-9 firing . I dont load hot mostly mid range or little above. As the pockets loosened I tossed them in my scrap brass bucket. I have since moved on to only Starline as they are just better .

Offline IMRICKJAMES

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
So far I have had good luck with the Hornady Valkyrie brass.  They have all been consistent with length.  I got a hundred, then found a few hundred on snipershide.  I got got two loads before they started stretching and required trimming but haven't had any issues with loose pockets.  That being said i have had good luck with my starline brass for other calibers as well.  if i had to pick one over the other I would probably lean towards the starline but money talks, and if you can jump in the truck and pick it up locally then the Hornady with work just fine.

Offline Mousegunr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
I have not had the problem many others have had loose primer pockets.  I mainly shoot Federal cases and some Starline.  The Federal cases have a life of between 4 and 6 reloads.  The main thing that ends the life of the Federal cases is case neck splits.  The necks split long before the primer pockets get loose.  Annealing the necks doesn’t seem to have much effect on the case neck life.

FWIW, I have had little success with heavy bullets in my 1-7 twist barrel.  Since I had difficulty getting small groups with heavy bullets, ie heavier than 69 gn SMK, I thought I would try some 52 gn HPBTs just for grins.  I wiped the grin off my face when I realized I was getting bughole size 3/8” diameter groups. 

Go figure.

Offline 1000 yrd guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 06:29:40 AM »
I have used Federal , Hornady and Starline , the Federals were factory that I used to get started and did last 7-10 firings before they split or pockets got loose. I then bought Hornady and they are on the 4th firings and are holding up well .I also bought a couple 100 Starline and they are holding up about as well as the Hornady. I shoot long range so not many are loaded to max , not trying to break fps records with them,most are loaded to be around 2,600-2,700 fps. Your brass regardless of brand is only gonna perform based on your loads .If your pushing them like some dont expect to get much out of them but if your loading for accuracy and performance they will last much longer.