Author Topic: Mounted Brass Catchers  (Read 93 times)

Offline justDee

• View Profile
Mounted Brass Catchers
« on: May 13, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
Any luck with the various rail mounted brass catchers?  I bought a Caldwell a year or so ago, with an extra mount piece, and just now remembered I had it.  I have it mounted now but have not shot with it at the range yet.  The reviews on the Caldwell all complain about the net melting.  I now see on Amazon, that there are a couple of other brands that claim to have HEAT RESISTANT material.  The Caldwell is on sale now for $30 and the extra mount bracket is another $11, on Midway.
You can get one of the other brands on Amazon, with an extra mount bracket for $25.  Pretty good price and the reviews don't mention melting netting.
I'm not real picky on collecting all my 223 as I can get plenty of it at work, but the 224 brass, I be searching for those until they are all located.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:02:53 PM by justDee »

Offline aziroc

• View Profile
Re: Mounter Brass Catchers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
I have the picatinny rail mount version for a few rifles.  Caldwell and some other brand.  The other brand (cheaper) has better netting imo. The caldwell did melt in a few small spots but nothing that created any holes. 

I use to never use them, now I prefer them.  Mostly cause it keeps all my brass in 1 small area.  I just open up the zipper and let them drop out. 

Offline justDee

• View Profile
Re: Mounted Brass Catchers
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
Opening the zipper makes sense, keeps them in one area, avoids the over heating.  Thanks

Offline Jack D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 07:52:26 PM »
I bought several brass catchers on Amazonia that attach to the handguard by adding a 3 slot section of rail
Work great for $15 has a plastic wing nut for quick on and off
Tried many different brand and types and this works best for me since I use big scopes mounted too low to get the rail QD piece to work on my guns

Offline justDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »
I'll have to look for that.  I have been leaving the zipper open.  It works, but man you know when that brass drops right next to your support arm  HOT!!!

Offline 300Beyond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
I have one of Lew's brass catchers and it works great on all of my AR-15s.  He makes a lot of models fro various guns and is a great guy to do business with.

https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/