Author Topic: any 24in cmmg barrel owners  (Read 107 times)

Offline cornerpocket76

• View Profile
any 24in cmmg barrel owners
« on: May 19, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »
Looking to start building some ammo for mine. Im getting back into reloading and just wondered if anyone this configuration. I've invested in some primers powders and bullets will be ordering some new brass. WE have steeped myself in Ultimate Reloading and Johnny's reloading work for months now. Our oldest son and I cant wait to see how our barrel performs. Anyone is welcome to share thanks in advance.

Offline justDee

• View Profile
Re: any 24in cmmg barrel owners
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
I have the 20" and just started reloading for it this week.  Having mixed results, but not as bad as I had expected.  I look forward to following your progress.

Offline cornerpocket76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
Thanks sir. I called berger and got some nice input on loads. They shoot and test a 20in. They hav had some awesome results.

Offline a12driver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »
I purchased a CMMG 24" 1 in 7 twist barrel in June 2018, mated it to a BCA side charging upper receiver. It shoots great! Don't have any plans to change it. Only ever fired one box of factory ammo through it, the federal 75 grain loads. Best results so far are sub 1/2" five shot 100 yard groups with Hornady 80 ELDs using 24.0 grains of H4895, COAL 2.26". Average of 2846 fps velocity. I've tried a number of powders and bullets but this combo works best for my barrel. Currently working up a load for the hornady 88 ELDs, getting close to the 1/2" mark. Also tried longer overall lengths but so far 2.26" works best for the 80s. This barrel and bullet combo seems to like a long jump to the lands. Last time at the range I was able to hit a 4" steel at 500 yards 4 out of 5 times, the one shot that did not hit the steel, moved it a bit. Think i hit the rubber strap it was hanging from. I am no long range shooter by any means.

Good luck! In my humble opinion, the CMMG barrel is a good choice. But the jury is still out on the 1 in 7 twist being able to stabilize heavier bullets. But since I don't have the opportunity to shoot beyond 500 yards very often, it is fine for me.

Offline justDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
I purchased a CMMG 24" 1 in 7 twist barrel in June 2018, mated it to a BCA side charging upper receiver. It shoots great! Don't have any plans to change it. Only ever fired one box of factory ammo through it, the federal 75 grain loads. Best results so far are sub 1/2" five shot 100 yard groups with Hornady 80 ELDs using 24.0 grains of H4895, COAL 2.26". Average of 2846 fps velocity. I've tried a number of powders and bullets but this combo works best for my barrel. Currently working up a load for the hornady 88 ELDs, getting close to the 1/2" mark. Also tried longer overall lengths but so far 2.26" works best for the 80s. This barrel and bullet combo seems to like a long jump to the lands. Last time at the range I was able to hit a 4" steel at 500 yards 4 out of 5 times, the one shot that did not hit the steel, moved it a bit. Think i hit the rubber strap it was hanging from. I am no long range shooter by any means.

Good luck! In my humble opinion, the CMMG barrel is a good choice. But the jury is still out on the 1 in 7 twist being able to stabilize heavier bullets. But since I don't have the opportunity to shoot beyond 500 yards very often, it is fine for me.

I'm still experimenting with powders and charges for the 90 gn SMK.  Mixed results at 100 yards, best was with ALLIANT Varmint.